In 1914 a reading room was established in the rear of the Marceline
First National Bank Building, later 300 books were donated by women's
Civic League. Members took their turn acting as Librarian. Marceline
Womens Civic League President Mrs. Sigmund Steiner suggested that
the club try to secure a Carnegie Library. In March 1917, a letter
was written to the Carnegie Institution. In May 1917 a wire was received
from the Andrew Carnegie Library Foundation that they had been given
$12,500 for a library building. The City promised to maintain the
library by levying a tax for that purpose.
December 3, 1917, a Library Board was appointed. It was the task of
this board to select a site for the building and receive bids from
architects and obtain the Carnegie Foundations' approval for the plans.
In 1918, a building site was purchased from Jackson-Walker Coal and
Mining Co. on East California Avenue. In February, 1919, Edgar P.
Madorie of Kansas City, Missouri was chosen architect for library.
November 1, 1920, the Marceline Carnegie Library opened as a result
of the Andrew Carnegie Foundation building grant, efforts of the Marceline
Civic League, Marceline City Council, and the support of the citizens
of Marceline. The Library has been in continuous operation 93 years.
We are a small public facility, with the library building owned and
maintained by the city, with library contents and services supported
by funds from property tax, State Aid, grants, Friends of the Library,
and donations. The Library is guided by a nine member board, each
serving a three year term. The board meets monthly.
In 2000 – 2001, the library received a grant to purchase new
computers and a printer from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
At the same time patron internet service added and updated through
MOREnet. In January 2001 new ceiling, lighting, fans, and wiring were
installed on the main floor. During the year of 2007 the automation
of the collection, the office renovation, and website were completed.
Marceline Carnegie Library Directors
1920 – 1929 Flo Cooper Carr
1929 – 1967 Olive McAllister
1967 – 1976 Thelma Dean
1976 – 1981 Marjorie Dearing
1981 – 1982 Gayle Lyons
1982 – 1987 Donna Terrell
1987 – 1987 Renee Hannibal
1988 – 1990 Vicki Schaal
1990 – Current Joyce (Stallo) Clapp
The 2014 Library personnel are Library Director Joyce Clapp and Library
Assistant Shelly Herring.